The World’s NO.1 Adjunctive Examination Device
Natural tissue fluorescence is caused by “fluorophores” that, when excited by light of an appropriate wavelength (e.g. blue) will emit their own light at a longer wavelength (e.g. green). The resulting fluorescence reveals information about cellular, structural, and/or metabolic activity changes that can be directly related to disease processes occurring inside the tissue.
The VELscope system is a powerful, fluorescence-based device that enhances the visualization of oral mucosal abnormalities such as oral cancer and premalignant dysplasia. Unlike other adjunctive devices used by dentists, the VELscope system does not require any dyes or prolonged testing procedures. In fact, VELscope examinations can be performed in the dentist’s office during routine hygiene exams.
- Traditional oral mucosal examination relies on reflected light to visualize the oral cavity.
- The VELscope allows the direct visualization of tissue fluorescence which complements and expands upon the view obtained by reflected light.
- Using these different visualization methods together provides an enhanced examination that decreases the likelihood of overlooking possibly serious pathology.
VELscope Advantages :
- Fits in with your work flow and complements your intra and extraoral head and neck examination with minimal set-up and only nominal time added to the overall appointment.
- Offers a visualization modality this is sensitive to tissue changes, helping you see things which may be hard to visualize otherwise.
- Provides visual information that is bright and readily observable in the dental operatory.
- Allows for straightforward photo documentation – photography solution is easy to integrate and bright tissue response allows you to easily acquire digital images to be used for patient records or sent to referral partners.
- Clinically proven for the enhanced visualization of mucosal abnormalities, and for use by specialists in helping establish lesion margins for surgical excision.
- Proven practice builder.
- Increases practice revenue.
- Indications for Use
VELscope® is intended to be used by a dentist or health-care provider as an adjunct to traditional oral examination by incandescent light to enhance the visualization of oral mucosal abnormalities that may not be apparent or visible to the unassisted eye. VELscope® is further intended to be used by an oral surgeon to help identify diseased tissue around a clinically apparent lesion and thus aid in determining the appropriate margin for surgical excision.
VELscope System Specifications
- Hand-Piece Dimensions (H x W x D): 8.6″ x 2.4″ x 3.4″ (22 x 6 x 9 cm)
- Charging Cradle Dimensions (H x W x D): 2.5″ x 4″ x 7″ (6 x 10 x 18 cm)
- Hand-Piece Weight: 0.9 lbs (0.41 kg)
- Charging Cradle Weight: 1.7 lb (0.76 kg)
- External Power Brick: MENB1060A1200F03, SL Power
- Input Voltage: 100 – 240 V
- Input Frequency: 50 – 60 Hz
- Amperage: 1.5A Max @ 100VAC Input
- Output: 5A Max @ 12 VDC
- Power Cord: Hospital Grade2
- Duty Cycle: 5 min. ON; 15 min. OFF
- Nominal Output Power (400 – 460nm): ~ 1W
- Illumination Spot Diameter (@ 10 cm working distance): ~ 1.5″ (4 cm)
- Minimum working distance (front face of unit to tissue): ~ 3″ (8 cm)
- Temperature (operating): 60 – 77°F (16 – 30°C)
- Temperature (non-operating): 32 – 122°F (0 – 50°C)
- Relative Humidity (operating): 20% – 80% (non-condensing)
- Relative Humidity (non-operating): 10% – 95% (non-condensing)
- Maximum Altitude (operating): 10,000 ft
- Maximum Altitude (non-operating): 35,000 ft
- Operation Manual (Print Version)
- Quick Reference Guide (Print Version)
- Step-by-Step Examination Guide (Print Version)
- VELscope Vx Handpiece
- VELscope Vx Battery pack
- VELscope Vx Charging Cradle
- External Power Brick
- Grounded Hospital Grade AC Power Cord
- 1 Pair Deluxe Safety Glasses
- Patient Brochures
CAUTION: VELscope Vx system to be operated only with external power brick provided with the system: MENB1060A1200F03 (SL Power).